In our daily BlackBerry usage, there are several occasions when we need to use a text repeatedly. For instance, in our emails, we usually use a word “Best Regards”, so would it not be nice if we can create a snippet for the word “Best Regards”.
Whenever we need to use it, we just click the BlackBerry option button and select “Insert TimelySnippet” menu option. This pops-up a window with our saved snippets. We then click on the “Best Regards” snippet and use it at the cursor point.
Well, this is what TimelySnippet for BlackBerry does!
The screen shots below is a visual guide on how TimelySnippet works.
You are writing an email and you want to add a commonly used text snippet at cursor point.
You click the BlackBerry option button and the menu pops up. The menu has a new option “Insert TimelySnippet”
Clicking on “Insert TimelySnippet” will pop up a window with stored snippets to select one by clicking on it. (This will show Preview Text explained in the later screens)
You click on the “Best Regards” snippet to insert it at the cursor point and it is inserted as in the image below.
Creating the TimelySnippet Library
TimelySnippet is not a set of pre-available snippets. It in fact allows you to create your own snippets. There are two ways to create your own snippets. One is by opening the TimelySnippet application and the other by adding a selected text to TimelySnippet library.
How to add a new TimelySnippet from the application.
- Click on the application icon.
- This will open a window as below.
- Click on the BlackBerry option button and select “Add New Snippet” option.
- This will take you to a form to add a new snippet.
- Here, type a preview text for the snippet and the actual snippet. Preview Text is a short preview of your snippet. For instance, preview text for a snippet “I am in a meeting, will call you back.” can be “meeting”. So when you want to insert “I am in a meeting, will call you back.”, you select “meeting” from the TimelySnippet selection option.
- Snippet will be saved.
- There is no limit to the number of snippets that can be saved.
- Clicking on the Edit Snippet option in the BlackBerry option menu opens the snippet in the edit mode as in the next two images below.
- Selecting the delete option from the BlackBerry option button menu will delete the snippet.
- Are you sure you want to delete this snippet? Yes and No options.
How to add a new TimelySnippet from selected text.
- Anywhere you are typing, select the text.
- Click the BlackBerry options menu as below.
- You will have an option to copy the text to TimelySnippet library.
- Once you click on “Copy to TimelySnippet”, a form as below appears with the copied text filled in Preview Text and Snippet Text fields.
- Edit the Preview Text so that it represents the actual text and save the snippet.