Basically, there are two types of tablets. One is Wi-Fi and the other is 3G. Wi-Fi tablets allow you to connect to the Internet using an available WiFi network, whereas, a 3G tablet can connect to the Internet using its built-in GPRS feature using a cell phone connection/SIM. 3G are WiFi enabled as well.
BlackBerry PlayBook is an awesome device. RIM has not yet released any 3G device, but still you can stay connected to the Internet using your BlackBerry smartphone by using one simple software called BlackBerry Bridge, which creates a a bluetooth link between your BlackBerry phone and PlayBook.
Unfortunately, the so far available version of BlackBerry Bridge does not support SMS sending, so here is the way to send SMS text messages from your BlackBerry PlayBook.
We have a BlackBerry application called ‘MessageGateway’. This application once installed on your BlackBerry smartphone, enables you to forward email messages from one or more predefined email addresses as SMS to the number mentioned in the subject line.
It can also forward email as PIN, but let us not discuss it here to keep the things simple.
The simple steps below will guide you to configure your BlackBerry PlayBook to send SMS text messages in no time.
What you need?
- BlackBerry phone.
- BlackBerry PlayBook.
- MessageGateway application for BlackBerry
How to configure?
1. Get MessageGatway application for BlackBerry from any of your favorite stores. A few links are as below.
2. Install it on your BlackBerry phone and configure it as in the steps below.
3. Go to where MessageGateway has been installed and click the MessageGateway icon.
4. This will open a new screen as below.
5. Click on the BlackBerry options button to open the context menu and click ‘Add New Account’.
6. Provide configuration values.
- “Account:” This is a name for your reference so that you can remember what this account deals with.
- “Email:” Remember, what MessageGateway does is forward an email from a predefined email address as SMS to the number in the subject line. So here you need to provide an email address configured to receive emails on your BlackBerry phone. This can either be any existing one or you can create a new one.
- “Forward as:” You can configure MessageGateway to forward emails as SMS or BB PIN, so here select ‘SMS’.
- “Status:” This is just to enable and disable forwarding so here we select ‘Active’.
- Click the save button and you are done.
7. Now open an email client on your BlackBerry PlayBook. This can either be your own BlackBerry Bridge email client or any other web based email service.
- Make sure the “From” email is the one you configured in MessageGateway.
- In the “To:” field, type your own email address, that is configured to receive emails on your BlackBerry phone.
- In the “Subject:” field, type cell number of the recipient.
- Type your SMS message in the “Message” field and press send.
- Normal SMS message’s length is 160 characters so try not to exceed it.
- SMS is sent.
In the simplest steps, you just sent an email to your ownself with SMS message in the email’s body and recipient’s number in the subject field.
Get MessageGatway application for BlackBerry from any of your favorite stores. A few links are as below.